If you suffer from fibromyalgia, you know that pain is not the only symptom. We’re about to take a closer look at how fibromyalgia presents, some common risk factors, and a natural means for finding relief that is unknown to most people.
The Symptoms of Fibromyalgia
A person who is dealing with fibromyalgia may experience any or all of the following:
- Widespread pain and tenderness
- Stiffness, especially in the morning
- Irritable bowels
- Numbness and tingling (especially in the hands and feet)
- Cognitive problems (memory and concentration)
- Depression and anxiety
Many of the problems have been linked to a malfunction in the way the body processes pain signals. As a result, pain is felt more intensely, just as is the case when the body is undergoing an emergency situation.
For some, fibromyalgia seems to come on with no prior warning signs. What may indicate that someone is at higher risk to develop fibromyalgia?
Risk Factors for Fibromyalgia
The following factors increase the likelihood that a person will develop this condition:
- Being female – Women make up 90% of fibromyalgia cases. The risk increases as a woman approaches menopause age.
- A sedentary lifestyle – When someone is physically inactive, it becomes more common for musculoskeletal problems to develop.
- Genes – Researchers believe that certain genetic markers may predispose one to the condition.
- Trauma – Fibromyalgia often sets in following some type of head or neck trauma.
Natural Fibromyalgia Help in Onalaska, Wisconsin
Upper cervical chiropractic care is providing many with help for the symptoms of fibromyalgia. Our focus is on the C1 and C2 vertebrae which play a vital role in brainstem function and blood flow to the brain. Misalignments in this area are a common problem for those who have suffered head or neck injuries like whiplash or a concussion due to a car accident, sports injury, or another type of trauma. If this trauma preceded the onset of fibromyalgia, correcting the underlying injury may help with the symptoms.
To schedule a complimentary NUCCA consultation call 608-783-0384
If you are outside of the local area you can find an Upper Cervical Doctor near you at www.uppercervicalawareness.com.